Italy – Tourist’s Delight
Italy shares borders with France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia. Its area is 301,230 square kilometers. The official name is Italian Republic.
Nearly all the people in Italy are ethnic Italians. Almost everyone speaks Italian. Most Italians are Roman Catholics. Italy has a rich history and many interesting places to visit.
Rome is the capital of the country and one of the world’s oldest cities. People call Rome the Eternal City. Ancient Rome was surrounded by the Aurelian Wall, which was built about AD 270. Much of the wall still survives.
Milan, Naples, Florence, and Venice are other historic Italian cities. Rome is famous for the Colosseum, an arena where people went to watch gladiators fight many years ago. Vatican City, where the pope lives, lies within Rome. The Sistine Chapel in the Vatican is one of the most beautiful buildings in Europe. Pisa in central Italy is best known for its leaning tower.
Mount Etna, an active volcano, is on the island of Sicily in southern Italy.
Italy’s wine, food, arts, and culture are prized around the world.
People all over the world eat Italian food, especially pizza and spaghetti.
Mineral resources include mercury, marble, and oil and gas reserves.
Mt. Blanc with the height of 4,807 m is the highest point in the country.
Italy’s longest river, the Po, flows into the Adriatic Sea. Garda is the largest lake (370 sq km).
The Alps rise in the north, and the Apennines run through the peninsula. Italy’s highest point, Monte Rosa, is in the central Alps.
Southern Italy has some active volcanoes, including Mount Vesuvius and Mount Etna.
Italy was a founding member of the European Economic Community, which became the European Union in 1993.
Interesting facts about Italy
– There are no orphanages and homeless animals in Italy.
– 60% of the world’s cultural heritage is in Italy.
– Florence is a city in Tuscany with the largest pedestrian zone in the world.
– The average life expectancy of Italians is 79.5 years.
– The piano was created in Italy in 1709 by the famous master Bartolomeo Cristofori.
– Lily is considered the national flower of Italy.
– The oldest bank in the world, founded in 1472, is located in Italy.