Interesting facts about dogs
Throughout centuries man and dog lived side by side. Dogs were popular in ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt. Pharaohs’ dogs were mummified and buried together with their masters in pyramids. In fact man-dog companionship had begun long before that. Some scientists say that domestic dogs appeared about 12,000 years ago and that they were derived directly from wolves.
People quickly understood that dogs could be used to guard, herd and hunt. To this day many breeds are used for these purposes.
Besides these traditional occupations, dogs can work in many other fields. Newfoundland is an excellent swimmer and is good at rescue work at sea. Huge St Bernard is trained to find people lost in the mountains under the snow. A St Bernard named Barry saved forty people during his twelve years of work. The elegant Dalmatian accompanied horse-driven carriages. Long ago, when fire brigades drove horses, they also took Dalmatians with them and up to our days Dalmatian is the mascot of firemen.
In 1928 the first dog was trained as a guide for blind people. Nowadays a lot of dogs — especially the intelligent Labrador and good-natured golden retriever — act as guides for blind or deaf people.
English constables in the 15th century took dogs with them, when patrolling the city, but mainly to keep them company. Nowadays some of the police dogs have been trained to find drugs or explosives.
In Italy and France dogs are used for truffle-hunting. Sometimes pigs are also used for searching these underground mushrooms, but pigs have a bad habit of eating them.
People love dogs simply because they live for us and love us. They are faithful and friendly. They are always happy to see us, they never criticize us, forgive our shortcomings and understand us without words.
– Dogs understand up to 250 words and gestures, count to five and can solve simple math problems.
– Dogs do not like hugs! For them it is a sign of dominance. So stop, finally, do this!
– Dogs can hear ultrasonic whistle. Paul McCartney, knowing this, had recorded the sound at the end of the song Day in the Life special for his dog.
– In ancient China, the last line of emperor’s defense was a small Pekingese: it was hiding his sleeve and in case of danger it jumped out and rushed to the enemy.
– Boxer dog named Banks and goose Buttons became friends after the dog became blind. Goose became his guide.
– Rin Tin Tin was the first dog – Hollywood star, and, like all celebrities, it signed all of its 22 film contracts with its paw.
– Chihuahua was named after the state of Chihuahua, Mexico, where they were discovered.
– Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic – a Newfoundland, a Pomeranian and Pekingese. Of course, they were in the first class.
– The first dog was cloned by South Korean scientist Hwang Usok in 2005. Today, this procedure costs $ 100 000.
– The first law on the rights of animals was passed in Japan in the 17-18 centuries. According to it, the killing of the dogs was punished by execution.
– The highest dog in the world is three-year-old Great Dane Gibson from Sacramento (CA). In a vertical position it is 2 meters and 10 centimeters.
– In 1907, Clarice Ashton Cross from Ascot, Berkshire, rejected the proposal of the American industrialist and financier George Pierpont Morgan to sell him her famous Pekingese for 32,000 pounds (over 865,000 pounds – at current exchange rate!).
– The rarest breed of dog is the Chinook, which was originally developed in New Hampshire in the early XX century as a sled dog.
– The first chapel in honor of the dogs was built in 2001. It was built in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, by Stephen Huneke, author of books for children, whose five dogs helped him after a long illness.
– The Basenji is the world’s only breed of dogs that do not bark.
What are the smartest dogs?
While it can be tricky to measure the intelligence of a dog, there is general agreement among dog fanciers that the smartest dogs are the border collies. These versatile, playful, athletic dogs were originally bred for herding sheep on farms. They are able to learn and carry out complex tasks requiring several hours of focused effort.
While most breeds of dogs are bred for physical appearance, border collies are bred for all-around general intelligence and robust good health. Border collies are not usually entered at dog shows and most do not carry professional papers.
Because of their great intelligence and energy, border collies do not necessarily make ideal pets. They require a lot of stimulation and if left alone may get into trouble, especially in a non-rural environment.
Highlights in the history of dogs
– Dogs were the first animals who could be trained by humans.
– Early domesticated dogs are thought to have resembled the modern-day dingoes – the Australian wild dogs.
– The ancient Egyptians tamed and trained a greyhound-type dog who was an ancestor of the modem day Saluki. This dog was used to hunt antelope.
– The pet dog of one Egyptian pharaoh had 2,000 slaves to wait on it.
– The ancient Greeks used dogs to hunt lions in Africa.
– The ancient Romans may have been the first to put dogs into certain categories: horse dogs, shepherd dogs, sporting dogs, war dogs, dogs that follow a trail by scent or sight.
– It was the development of farming that led to the use of dogs to herd and guard livestock.
Interesting facts about dogs
– A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. Robert Benchley
– Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you. Mary Bly
– To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs. Aldous Huxley
– Know thyself. Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful. Ann Landers
– The more I see of men, the more I admire dogs. Jeanne-Marie Roland
– The dog has got more fun out of Man than Man has got out of the dog, for the clearly demonstrable reason that Man is the more laughable of the two animals. James Thurber
– If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. Mark Twain
– A dog wags its tail with its heart. — Martin Buxbaum
Celebrities and their dogs
2018 Yellow Earth Dog meaning
First of all, Yellow Earth Dog does not tolerate static and fake feelings, preferring sincerity and openness in business and relationships. Meanwhile, the Dog is inherent in some laziness, and this somewhat reduces its activity. However, do not hope that there will be an opportunity to take advantage of this, and have a rest. Work and attachment to the main thing – this is your motto for the entire period of the rule of this animal. Also, it is very important to stay in shape, emotionally, physically, and financially. And gentle relationships between people provide a framework of permanence and confidence in the future. People with peacemaking thoughts, and a sincere desire to bring good, will like the yellow dog, because these features of character are especially characteristic of the sign.
And yet, what will bring the year 2018, the long-awaited for the whole world year of Yellow Dog? Importantly, 2018 will be a turning point in politics and history, as everything says that peace will reign on the Earth. In addition, the year will bring development in many areas, such as medicine, economics, agriculture and, of course, ecology. For people, the struggle for health, cleanliness and safety of the environment will become important and even fundamental.
Saving on things that are actually not so necessary are a prerequisite for a successful year. Do not rush to throw money, as the restoration of financial stability will continue until the middle of the year. So, in the autumn there will come a time when you can think over plans for purchases and make the most profitable acquisitions. Make reserves, do not forget about helping your neighbor, because what you give in support of another, will return to you in greater volume.
During the whole year it will be possible to establish relations, even with those whom you considered to be practically strangers, and you will need it personally. Link your life with an important matter or loved one, it is best in this year. Marriage will be strong, and children in such a family will be happy. The birth of children, the decision on education, and in general, the global changes in life, will be met by Yellow Dog with great joy.