In the Nubian Desert, which is between the Nile River and the Red Sea, 320 km from the famous Aswan Dam, there is an unusual structure – the majestic Abu Simbel Temple, carved from the mountain ridge, dedicated to the gods Amon-Ra, Harmakhis and Ptah and the deified pharaoh Ramses II. The temple has an amazing history.
In 1813, the Swiss traveler and geographer Johann Burckhardt saw a strange sand-strewn stone boulder on the bank of the Nile. There were four giant sitting figures, which were supposed to depict the gods with the appearance of Pharaoh Ramses II the Great. At the bottom, a narrow stone entrance to the sanctuary was dug out. Soon they found a 65-meter-long passage, the steps of which were decorated with bas-reliefs. In some places there were bright paintings that glorified the military approaches of Ramses II. Thus, the majestic Abu Simbel temple was discovered.