Baden-Baden – luxury resort
Since the XVIII century it was called the summer capital of Europe. Noble persons from all corners of the Earth gathered there. This German town is famous for its thermal springs. The ancient Romans had already known about their healing power. Cozy, with fine monuments and fresh air, Baden-Baden attracts not only those who are ill, but also those who love peace and harmony. Quiet parks, five-star hotels, ancient theaters and exhibition halls – everything contributes to recovery: both physical and mental.
Mark Twain, who adored the local baths, wrote: “Here you forget about time in 10 minutes, and 20 minutes later you forget about everything”. The Roman-Irish baths is a great invention of the doctors: a unique combination of healing steam, heat, marble baths, thermal water and total relaxation.
At the beginning of the first millennium, the Roman soldiers came for healing in the valley of the Oos River, having heard about the miracle of its sources. Caring patricians built large baths for their soldiers in Civitas Anurelia Aquensis (early name of Baden-Baden). Battle-scarred heroes so quickly and effectively recovered from the wounds that the emperor Caracalla ordered to build a swimming pool for his family. Only a thousand years later, in 1306, the Roman baths for the elite became the property of the city, public service. And in 1507 there were a lot of people wishing to improve their health in Baden-Baden.
It is believed that Baden-Baden gained its popularity because of the Russian aristocracy. The wife of Alexander I, nee Princess of Baden, was the first who started the fashion to go to these places. The great princes, artistic bohemians, and all those who could afford the luxury of the resort, followed her. Famous artists and writers found Baden-Baden the perfect place for an aging body, weary mind and frayed nerves. In 2002 the Royal Resort received prestigious Five Star Diamond Award.
Doctors, perhaps, will tell you that the specialization of Baden is treatment of kidney and gastrointestinal tracts, diabetes, gout, cardiac disorders and infertility… But personally, I think that a person acquires the desire to live here.
– There is the most famous and the oldest casino in Germany.
– Dostoevsky House is the place where Dostoevsky wrote his legendary work Crime and Punishment.
– Kloster Lichtenthal became a museum. This enigmatic ancient structure is a paradise for art lovers and history buffs.
– Kurgarten Park is one of the most comfortable, quiet, picturesque places in Baden-Baden. It seems that you are in one of the fairy tales of Brothers Grimm.
– During your visit to Old Castle you will hear magical sounds of the harp with 120 strings. It is one of the largest in Europe.
– Golden-domed Russian Church is the symbol of the Russian in Baden-Baden.